WOCA Antique Wood Lye is used for lye priming of unfinished or newly sanded Oak floors or woodwork.
WOCA Antique Wood Lye is used for lye priming of unfinished or newly sanded oak floors or woodwork. WOCA Antique Lye is developed to provide an ammonia smoked aspect to oak wood. This product is user friendly but corrosive and should be handled with caution during application.
Since the product reacts with the tannic acid in the oak, the colour after application may vary depending on the concentration of tannin in the wood. However, it creates a very unique colour and Vintage appearance.
- The unfinished woodwork must be sanded finely (grit 100-120), clean and dry before application of the lye.
- Shake the container. Pour the lye into a plastic bucket and stir regularly in order to get a uniform result.
- Apply an even coat of the lye with the WOCA Applicator, a nylon brush or roller lengthwise along the grain. Apply at least 1 litre of lye to 10 m2 of wood. On vertically mounted woodwork, apply from bottom to top.
- Leave lye primed wood to dry for approx. 2-4 hours at 20°C/68˚F (the wood must be completely dry).
- Clean the floor with 125 ml Intensive Wood Cleaner mixed into 5 L water. Leave to dry for 24 hours at 20°C (68˚F).
- De-nib standing fibers with a fine sanding polishing pad before the final basic treatment. Subsequently vacuum clean the floor.
- Finish the wood surface with one of the well-known WOCA oils.
- Clean tools in water after use.
WOCA Antique Lye Product Information
WOCA Antique Lye Safety Data Sheet